Cowspiracy: The Secret of Sustainability is a documentary that reveals the truth about the industry that has most destroyed the planet: agriculture.
There is no longer any industry that harms both the planet and meat consumption, but it remains almost unchallenged. It is largely responsible for deforestation, water consumption and pollution, is responsible for more greenhouse gases than the transport sector, and is the main driver of forest destruction, species extinction, habitat loss, soil erosion and virtually all other environmental damage.
Throughout the documentary, we have witnessed the bold quest for the true solution to environmental issues and the road to sustainability, as well as the enormous research work on finding out why the world’s leading environmental organizations are afraid to discuss the issue.
The tremendous work done by the filmmakers Kip Andersen and Keegan Kuhn, who have ventured into a very controversial subject and overcome numerous obstacles due to the enormous secrecy surrounding this theme, should be commended so that the truth about the environmental impact of industrial livestock is known to the greatest number. of people.
Do you consider yourself an environmentalist? It cares about forests, the seas, the decimation of wildlife, what happens to the air you breathe, the water you drink, the survival of your children and grandchildren, the power that corrupts governments and starve millions of people?
This is then one of the major (if not the main) movies you should watch. Cowspiracy is one of the most highly recommended and well-reviewed documentaries, essential for those who care about the future of the planet. You can watch it below.
Some curious facts that are acquired with the documentary:
- Livestock and livestock products account for at least 32 billion tons of CO2 per year, or 51 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions worldwide;
- Growing livestock crops consumes 56% of water in the US;
- A hamburger requires 660 liters of water to produce, the equivalent of two months of showering;
- 2,500 liters of water are needed to produce 1 kg of meat;
- Scientists estimate that up to 650,000 whales, dolphins and seals are killed each year by fishing vessels;
- Agriculture is responsible for 91% of the destruction of the Amazon;
- More than 6 million animals are killed per hour for human consumption;
- Every day a person eating a vegan diet saves 1,100 liters of water, 45 kilograms of grain, 2.79 square meters of forest land, 9 kilograms of Co² and the life of an animal.